On Tue, Jun 08, 2021 at 05:44:15PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 5:11 PM Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > I wonder if this is a variant of the problem shown at
> >
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2591376.1621196582%40sss.pgh.pa.us
> >
> > where maybe_needed was visibly quite insane.  This value is
> > less visibly insane, but it's still wrong.  It might be
> > interesting to try running this test case with the extra
> > assertions I proposed there, to try to narrow down where
> > it's going off the rails.
>
> Oh yeah. Justin didn't say anything about upgrading using pg_upgrade
> (just something about upgrading the kernel).
>
> Did you use pg_upgrade here, Justin?

Yes.

The kernel upgrade was going to be my hand-waving dismissal of the issue when I
saw someting waiting on a futex.  (Since a few years ago Tom had to remind me
about an old Linux futex bug which we hit after upgrading to v12 on a
customer's server - they like to avoid maintenance at all costs).

--
Justin