On 22.06.21 10:20, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 22/06/2021 10:20, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
I have accumulated a few patches to improve the output of the scripts in
src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/ to be less non-standard-looking and fix a
few other minor things in that area.

v1-0001-Make-Unicode-makefile-more-parallel-safe.patch

The makefile rule that calls UCS_to_most.pl was written incorrectly for
parallel make.  The script writes all output files in one go, but the
rule as written would call the command once for each output file in
parallel.

This could use a comment. At a quick glance, I don't understand what all the $(wordlist ...) magic does.

Perhaps we should change the script or Makefile so that it doesn't create all the maps in one go?

I agree, either comment it better or just write one file at a time. I'll take another look at that.

v1-0003-Remove-some-whitespace-in-generated-C-output.patch

Improve a small formatting issue in the output.

I'm surprised the added \n in the perl code didn't result in extra newlines in the outputs.

True, I'll have to check that again. I suspect that \n actually belongs to patch 0004.

v1-0004-Simplify-code-generation-code.patch

This simplifies the code a bit, which helps with the next patch.

If we do that, let's add the trailing commas to the other arrays too, not just the combined maps.

No objection, but how does this help the next patch?

Mainly it just moves things around so that each print normally starts at the beginning of a line and concludes with a \n.