On 2021/07/25 7:50, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

I've been repeatedly confused by the the number of WAL files supposedly
added. Even when 100s of new WAL files are created the relevant portion
of log_checkpoints will only ever list zero or one added WAL file.

The reason for that is that CheckpointStats.ckpt_segs_added is only
incremented in PreallocXlogFiles(). Which has the following comment:
  * XXX this is currently extremely conservative, since it forces only one
  * future log segment to exist, and even that only if we are 75% done with
  * the current one.  This is only appropriate for very low-WAL-volume systems.

Whereas in real workloads WAL files are almost exclusively created via
XLogWrite()->XLogFileInit().

I think we should consider just removing that field. Or, even better, show
something accurate instead.

+1 to show something accurate instead.

It's also worth showing them in monitoring stats view like pg_stat_wal?

Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center
Research and Development Headquarters
NTT DATA CORPORATION