On 13.08.21 15:23, Ronan Dunklau wrote:
The logging system already captures a lot of information in the ErrorData. But
at present there is no way for a log message authors to include more metadata
about the log outside of the log message itself. For example, including the
extension name which can be useful for filtering / dispatching log messages.
This can be done in the log message itself, but that requires specialized
parsing in the log output.

Even though among the available loggers in core, only the csv logger would be
able to make sense of it, I feel it would be beneficial to add a tagging system
to logs, by adding different (tag, value) combinations to a log entry, with an
API similar to what we do for other ErrorData fields:

ereport(NOTICE,
  (errmsg("My log message")),
  (errtag("EMITTER", "MYEXTENSION")),
  (errtag("MSG-ID", "%d", error_message_id))
);

What are some more examples of where this could be used? The extension name could be added more or less automatically to ereport() calls. I don't know what the MSG-ID is supposed to be. Are there other use cases?