On 2021-Sep-15, Amit Kapila wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 11:21 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@alvh.no-ip.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I pushed the clerical part of this -- namely the addition of
> > PublicationTable node and PublicationRelInfo struct.
>
> One point to note here is that we are developing a generic grammar for
> publications where not only tables but other objects like schema,
> sequences, etc. can be specified, see [1]. So, there is some overlap
> in the grammar modifications being made by this patch and the work
> being done in that other thread.

Oh rats.  I was not aware of that thread, or indeed of the fact that
adding multiple object types to publications was being considered.

I do see that 0002 there contains gram.y changes, but AFAICS those
changes don't allow specifying a column list for a table, so there are
some changes needed in that patch for that either way.

I agree that it's better to move forward in unison.

I noticed that 0002 in that other patch uses a void * pointer in
PublicationObjSpec that "could be either RangeVar or String", which
strikes me as a really bad idea.  (Already discussed in some other
thread recently, maybe this one or the row filtering one.)