On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 6:18 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 4:21 PM Marcos Pegoraro <mar...@f10.com.br> wrote:
>>
>> No, I´m talking about that configuration you can have on standby servers
>> recovery_min_apply_delay = '8h'
>>

> oh okay, I think this can be useful in some cases where we want to avoid data
> loss similar to its use for physical standby. For example, if the user has by
> mistake truncated the table (or deleted some required data) on the publisher,
> we can always it from the subscriber if we have such a feature.
>
> Having said that, I am not sure if we can call it a restriction. It is more
> of a TODO kind of thing. It doesn't sound advisable to me to keep growing the
> current Restrictions page [1].

One could argue that not having delayed apply *is* a restriction
compared to both physical replication and "the original upstream"
pg_logical.

I think therefore it should be mentioned in "Restrictions"  so people
considering moving from physical streaming to pg_logical or just
trying to decide whether to use pg_logical are warned.

Also, the Restrictions page starts with " These might be addressed in
future releases." so there is no exclusivity of being either a
restriction or TODO.

> [1] - https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
> [2] -
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/logical-replication-restrictions.html

-----
Hannu Krosing
Google Cloud - We have a long list of planned contributions and we are hiring.
Contact me if interested.