Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback.

> On 26/09/2021, at 12:09 AM, Daniel Gustafsson <dan...@yesql.se> wrote:
>
> But 2b and 2a hashes aren't equal, although very similar.  2a should have the
> many-buggy to one-correct collision safety and 2b hashes shouldn't.  The fact
> that your hashes work isn't conclusive evidence.

I was afraid this might be a bit naive. Re-reading the crypt_blowfish release
notes, it’s principally the changes introducing $2y$ into 1.2 that we need,
with support for OpenBSD $2b$ introduced in 1.3. Do I understand this correctly?

> Upgrading our crypt_blowfish.c to the upstream 1.3 version would be the
> correct
> fix IMO, but since we have a few local modifications it's not a drop-in.  I
> don't think it would be too hairy, but one needs to be very careful when
> dealing with crypto.

My C experience is limited, but I can make an initial attempt if the effort
would be worthwhile. Is this realistically a patch that a newcomer to the
codebase should attempt?

> Actually it is, in table F.16 in the below documentation page we refer to our
> supported level as "Blowfish-based, variant 2a”.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. My point was that the docs only mention $2a$, and $2x$
isn’t mentioned even though pgcrypto supports it. As part of the upgrade to
1.3, perhaps the docs can be updated to mention variants x, y, and b as well.

Thanks,

Daniel