Tom Lane wrote: > Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > >> This said, I think Hiroshi's patch seems a perfect starting point, no ? > > > Having phantom columns adds additional complexity to the system overall. > > We have to decide we really want it before making things more complex > > than they already are. > > I think we do, because it solves more than just the ALTER DROP COLUMN > problem: it cleans up other sore spots too. Like ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN > in a table with child tables. > > Of course, it depends on just how ugly and intrusive the code changes > are to make physical and logical columns distinct. I'd like to think > that some fairly limited changes in and around heap_getattr would do > most of the trick. If we need something as messy as the first-cut > DROP_COLUMN_HACK then I'll look for another way... > Hmm,the implementation using physical and logical attribute numbers would be much more complicated than first-cut DROP_COLUMN_HACK. There's no simpler way than first-cut DROP_COLUMN_HACK. I see no progress in 2x DROP COLUMN implementation. How about giving up DROP COLUMN forever ? Regards. Hiroshi Inoue