"Mikheev, Vadim" wrote: > >> One of the purposes of WAL is immediate removing tuples > >> inserted by aborted xactions. I want make VACUUM > >> *optional* in future - space must be available for > >> reusing without VACUUM. And this is first, very small, > >> step in this direction. > > > >Why would vacuum become optional? Would WAL offer an option to > >not reclaim free space? We're hoping that vacuum becomes unneeded > > Reclaiming free space is issue of storage manager, as > I said here many times. WAL is just Write A-head Log > (first write to log then to data files, to have ability > to recover using log data) and for matter of space it can > only help to delete tuples inserted by aborted transaction. > > >when postgresql is run with some flag indicating that we're > >uninterested in time travel. > > Time travel is gone ~ 3 years ago and vacuum was needed all > these years and will be needed to reclaim space in 7.1 > > >How much longer do you estimate until you can make it work that way? > > Hopefully in 7.2 > Just a confirmation. Do you plan overwrite storage manager also in 7.2 ? Hiroshi Inoue