On 17 Feb 2001 at 17:56 (-0500), Tom Lane wrote:

[snipped]

| Is anyone out there running a 2.4 Linux kernel?  Would you try pgbench
| with current sources, commit_delay=0, -B at least 1024, no -F, and see
| how the results change when pg_fsync is made to call fdatasync instead
| of fsync?  (It's in src/backend/storage/file/fd.c)

I've not run this requested test, but glibc-2.2 provides this bit
of code for fdatasync, so it /appears/ to me that kernel version
will not affect the test case.

[glibc-2.2/sysdeps/generic/fdatasync.c]

  int
  fdatasync (int fildes)
  {
      return fsync (fildes);
  }

hth.
  brent

--
"We want to help, but we wouldn't want to deprive you of a valuable
learning experience."