> No, those don't do it.  We need an actual NaN value.  These are just
> flags, I think.

Where does the "-O4" come from? That level of optimization probably is
forcing the compile-time constant folding, which is causing trouble.

Try backing off to "-O2" or turn off optimization all together and I'll
bet it will compile. Another possibility is to go into the adt/
subdirectory, compile float.o by cutting and pasting the line above
(substituting -O0 for -O4) and then go back up and resume the make from
the top.

                     - Thomas