Greg Smith wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

It would also be good to make --enable-debug the default.

The last time I did a build with both --enable-debug and --enable-cassert, I was seeing pgbench results that were significantly (around 40% I think) slower than without those two. I never circled back to assigning blame to the individual options, but I'd suggest some caution here before turning one of these on by default. I'd want to see benchmarking on a couple of platforms to prove that it doesn't slow things down before making such a change.

--enable-cassert is the culprit. You don't want to enable that if you're doing performance testing. I haven't seen a slowdown from --enable-debug, though I haven't specifically tested that.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq