>>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2007 at  3:13 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Heikki Linnakangas
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> The indexam API needs to be modified as well, because there's currently
>>> no API to return index tuples from an index.
>>
>> I know this is tangential, but expanding the types of selection
>> criteria which can be applied to index entries (beyond equality and
>> range tests) might fall out of this, yes?
>
> What else so you have in mind?
>
> With index-only-scans, it would sometimes make sense to do a full index
> scan. I wasn't thinking of anything else on that front myself.

I know this issue on this thread has come up at least one or two
other times lately:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-08/msg00113.php

I know it's a largely independent issue, but your comment about the
API not giving access to the index tuples echoed comments regarding
what it would take to allow optimizations in this area.

-Kevin

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq