"Simon Riggs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've written up my suggestion as a 5 line patch, with measured
> performance improvement of about 40% for the varchar case.

A 5-line patch which improves performance by 40% for any case sounds amazing,
but how fragile is that gain? The kind of thing which would be worryign is if
runing a query which uses both varchar and some other ambiguous operator
causes it to lose all its gain.

--
  Gregory Stark

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate