"Tom Lane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> AFAICS that produces runs that are *exactly* the same length as Knuth's
> method --- you're just using a different technique for detecting when
> the run is over, to wit "record is not in heap" vs "record is in heap
> but with a higher run number".  I guess you would save some comparisons
> while the heap is shrinking, but it's not at all clear that you'd save
> more than what it will cost you to re-heapify all the dead records once
> the run is over.

This sounded familiar... It sounds a lot like what this CVS log message is
describing as a mistaken idea:

  revision 1.2
  date: 1999-10-30 18:27:15 +0100;  author: tgl;  state: Exp;  lines: +423 -191;

  Further performance improvements in sorting: reduce number of comparisons
  during initial run formation by keeping both current run and next-run tuples
  in the same heap (yup, Knuth is smarter than I am). And, during merge
  passes, make use of available sort memory to load multiple tuples from any
  one input 'tape' at a time, thereby improving locality of access to the temp
  file.

--
  Gregory Stark