Josh Berkus wrote:
Tom,

There has been some discussion of making a project policy of dropping
support for old releases after five years.  Should we consider formally
instituting that?

The community consensus I recall was three versions only. Anything beyond that would be up to the vendors.

Mind you, I don't know what EDB guarentees but the Sun folks could end up patching everything back to 8.1 for the next 5 years depending on customer demand. So I think 5 years will be a reality for us for the conceivable future.

I don't know that we came up with a highly specific policy. My recollection was something like "Support would be maintained for n years (or possibly releases), after which we could discontinue support at any time if bugs were unpatchable."

The burden of maintaining back releases isn't really all that great, ISTM.

I have no objection to cutting a release and declaring it final (with a possible exception for security fixes).

cheers

andrew

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend