Josh Berkus wrote:
Andrew,

It's the tests I think belong in core, not the farm software. Currently
buildfarm performs functionality tests that are also in core.

Jignesh and I were talking about writing a Pole Position-style test which measures peformance on each of a couple dozen specific operations. There are limits to what we could ship with PostgreSQL ... DW operations aren't really testable without 18 hours to generate data ... but we could test a lot of things.

I think we're going to need several sets of tests, and some settable scaling factors.

Performance isn't just about humungous DW apps. We need to have testing on small to medium sized apps/machinery as well.

cheers

andrew