I wrote:

OK, I have a fairly ugly manual workaround, that I don't yet understand, but seems to work for me.

In your session, run the following code before you do anything else:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(text) RETURNS bool LANGUAGE plperl as $$
return shift =~ /\xa9/i ? 'true' : 'false';
$$;
SELECT test('a');
DROP FUNCTION test(text);

After that we seem to be good to go with any old UTF8 chars.

I'm looking at automating this so the workaround can be hidden, but I'd rather understand it first.

(Core guys: If we can hold RC1 for a bit while I get this fixed that would be good.)

The attached patch works for me to eliminate the errors. Please test ASAP.

Given our time constraints I intend to apply this to HEAD and backpatch it to 8.2 and 8.1, unless there's a strenuous objection. That will give us some buildfarm coverage on it, although we don't seem to have any perl 5.6.x on the buildfarm that I could see. We've had a positive test report, no negative reports, and I'm fairly sure the patch is at worst harmless.

cheers

andrew