Thanks for the suggestions. I am re-submitting the patch in contextual diff
format.

As far as storage savings are concened, the patch claims whatever is stated.
I checked it by creating a table with 10 columns on a 32 bit machine. i
inserted 100,000 rows with trailing nulls and i observed savings of
400Kbytes.
I did a similar test for index and i found similar space saving.

I have tested regression in both 32 bit system and 64 bit system.

Please go through the patch and provide further suggestions.

--
Thanks,
Gokul.

       match