Ron Mayer wrote:
Or do you mean being able to perform parts of the query plan fully in
parallel? If this, then one would need a lot more than ParallelSort...

I wouldn't recommend that - it seems like a Hard Problem.

Isn't it the case that the implicit unions from processing partitioned data provides a
more-or-less-ideal opportunity here?

I certainly have sympathy for parallelising expensive queries to bring the best response time down, even if the average under full load goes up slightly, since any implied locks
(including pinning of read-ahead ages) will be released sooner.

And when load is light, users who are online get more of the hardware they paid for.

James

              http://archives.postgresql.org