Magnus Hagander wrote:
> We could make it so that we *require* the root certificate to be present
> on the client and make the check, and simply refuse to connect without
> it. But my guess is that it'll just increase the bar for SSL adoption at
> all, whilst most people will find some insecure way to get the root key
> over there anyway. Unless we want to start shipping our own batch of
> trusted roots, and only support paid-for certificates or something...

Agreed.  Requiring client root certificate checking is heavy-handed.  At
most we could emit a server log message when a client has no
certificate.

Of course I am not sure anyone knows how to get that information from
SSL. We could do it in the clients we ship but a malicious client will
just remove the check.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://momjian.us

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate