Hi,

Simon Riggs wrote:
When I delete all rows WHERE some_date < 'cut-off date' on a segment
boundary value that would delete all segments that met the criteria. The
following VACUUM will then return those segments to be read-write, where
they can then be refilled with new incoming data. The only command we
would have to run is the DELETE, everything else is automatic.

Agreed, that would be very nice.

So not convinced of the need for named sections of tables yet. It all
seems like detail, rather than actually what we want for managing large
tables.

What do you think about letting the database system know the split point vs it having to find optimal split points automatically?

Read-write vs. read-only is as good start, but can that concept be expanded to automatically choosing hash partitioning between storage systems, for example? Or more generally: can the database system gather enough information about the storage systems to take a decision as good as or better than the DBA?

Regards

Markus

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend