Michael Meskes wrote:
Hi,
could anyone please enlighten me whether this function is still needed?
AFAICT check_escape_warning() only has significant action if
warn_on_first_escape is true. This variable is set to true only on label
xqstart, but to false on xestart. However, check_escape_warning() and
check_string_escape_warning() btw. are only called in mode xe. Seems to
me that both are never called, or what am I missing?

What you are missing is that xqstart can lead to mode xe if standard_conforming_strings is false:

{xqstart}       {
                   warn_on_first_escape = true;
                   saw_high_bit = false;
                   SET_YYLLOC();