[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=) writes:
> Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=) writes:
> You could search in a path... first sysconfdir, then datadir.
>>
>> Surely the other way around.

> Which could work as well - or just a switch to postmaster to tell it
> which file to use.

I could live with a datadir-then-sysconfdir path search.  (It should be
datadir first, since the sysconfdir file would serve as a system-wide
default for multiple postmasters.)  Given that approach I see no real
need for a postmaster switch.

Possibly the same approach should apply to all the config files we
currently store in datadir?

There is a security issue here: stuff stored in datadir is not visible
to random other users on the machine (since datadir is mode 700), but
I would not expect sysconfdir to be mode 700.  We'd need to think about
the implications of allowing Postgres config files to be world-visible.