Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah, all of this is about confusion and error-proneness.  I still think
> that the real problem is that we don't have full control over
> client-side code, and therefore can't just write off the problem of a
> client deciding to connect to /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 even if the local DBA
> thinks the socket would be safer elsewhere.

The local DBA may have sufficient control over client-side code.

There probably are use cases where using a secure directory isn't a
complete solution; but for us, the spoofing in /tmp is a real risk
and using a secure directory solves the problem just fine.

Are we sure there really are users who need the other options?

-Kevin

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq