* Tom Lane ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> "Marc G. Fournier" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Easiest fix: change the UID of the user running the postmaster (ie. pgsql)
> > so
> > that each runs as a distinct UID (instead of distinct PGPORT) ... been
> > doing
> > this since moving to FreeBSD 6.x ... no patches required ...
>
> Sure, but in the spirit of "belt and suspenders too", I'd think that
> doing that *and* something like Mischa's proposal wouldn't be bad.

I agree that we should try to be careful about stepping on segments that
might still be in use, but I would also discourage jail users from using
the same uid for multiple PG clusters since the jail doesn't protect the
shmem segment.  We use seperate uids even w/ linux-vservers where shmem
and everything *is* seperate, following the same 'belt and suspenders
too' spirit for security.

        Thanks,

                Stephen