Ivan,

have you seen contrib/hstore ? It's perl-like hash data type and can be
ideally suited for you.

Oleg
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, Ivan Voras wrote:

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

Why not create the audit tables with composite types rather than strings?

create table audit_foo_table as (who text, when timestamptz, old foo, new foo);

Because this would lead to having a log/shadow/audit table for every table I wish to log. (or is there an opaque "generic row" data type? "record" and "any" generate syntax errors).

Or you could use an hstore (see contrib).

Doesn't seem applicable.

Or you could possibly use some of the XML support in 8.3 for serialization.

I need this for 8.1 :)

This is a usage question, so it really doesn't belong on -hackers.

Thank you - I'm reading the list through gmane and I didn't notice its name "gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general" is incorrect. I'll find a more suitable list.

        Regards,
                Oleg
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83