Simon Riggs wrote:

Basically I'd rather try to attack the problem with dtrace ...

OK. I'll switch to Solaris. Or do you something I don't about dtrace on
linux?

One idea would be to add new arguments to LWLockAcquire as you suggest, but instead of modifying all call sites, decorate it with a macro that passes __FILE__ and __LINE__ as the extra arguments. The good thing about that is that it's a relatively small patch and you can easily switch it on/off with a #ifdef. And there's no need to push for inclusion of that into CVS, because it would be an easy patch to maintain yourself.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate