Tom Lane írta:
Zoltan Boszormenyi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
as the wishlist for PostgreSQL 8.4 still has my
IDENTITY/GENERATED patches, I thought I refresh it.
Before actually doing it though, I wanted to ask for opinions
on implementation and ideas.

IIRC the end conclusion on that patch was that it was awfully messy,
didn't really buy much in new functionality, and was trying to track a
portion of the spec that the SQL committee had apparently not gotten
right yet.

It seems the last draft for SQL:2008 largely clarified details for
IDENTITY columns that were either conflicting or unclear in SQL:2003.

Implementing stuff that's still changing in a *draft* standard seems
to me like a good way to get burnt.

From http://www.wiscorp.com/SQLStandards.html :

SQL:2008 Draft International Standard Documents <http://www.wiscorp.com/sql200n.zip> (Updated 12/14/2007) - *Updated!!!* This points to the /documents which wlll likely be the documents that represent the SQL 2008 Standard.
These documents are out for International Standard ballot at this time.
The vote is an Up/Down vote. No changes allowed./

I think it's time to start looking at it.

I think this needs to stay on the back burner, at least until there's
a published final spec that doesn't seem as broken as 2003 was.  I
was sufficiently disillusioned with the whole thing at the end of
the previous review cycle
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-05/msg00441.php
that I'm not really eager to pour more time down the same hole.

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/