Mathias Hasselmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Just to be sure we talk about the same topic: I assume the prohibition
> you talk about is something like "no use of threads in Postmaster"?

Correct.

> If that's the case: Are there some docs, mails, ... explaining the
> rationale behind this restriction? I could imagine your do not want
> random locking in the postmaster code?

Portability, irreproducible misbehavior, etc.  Some trawling in the
pgsql-hackers archives should turn up previous discussions.  For a
recent demonstration that wanting to avoid threads is not just idle
paranoia on our part, see
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-09/msg00194.php

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster