Bruce Momjian wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
"Heikki Linnakangas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
John Smith wrote:
[3] I am not certain how widespread they might be, but I think there
may be some backward compatibility concerns with the patch you are
proposing.
Well, the current behavior is certainly broken, so an application relying on it is in trouble anyway :-(. Even if we came up with a patch for 8.4 to relax the limitation, I doubt it would be safe enough to backport to stable branches.
As Heikki pointed out later, PG 8.1 correctly enforces the restriction
against preparing a transaction that has dropped a temp table.  It's
only 8.2.x and 8.3.0 that (appear to) allow this.  So I'm not persuaded
by backwards-compatibility arguments.

I've applied Heikki's new patch, and I think that's as much as we can do
for 8.2 and 8.3.  Any improvement in the functionality would be new
development (and not trivial development, either) for 8.4 or later.

Is there a TODO here?

Yes, please:

"Allow two-phase commit when a temporary table is created and dropped in the same transaction, or when an ON COMMIT DELETE ROWS temporary table is accessed"

Hmm. If we can do that, I guess we could allow read-only queries on temp tables as well.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas