I'm not sure what value a tsquery has if it's composed from stopwords only, but it doesn't seem to be null or equal to itself.

That strikes me as ... unintuitive, although I'm happy to be re-educated on this.

I think it's because CompareTSQ (tsquery_op.c, line 142) doesn't have a case to handle query sizes of zero. That's what seems to be returned from tsearch/to_tsany.c lines ~ 345-350.

SELECT
  qid,words,query,
  (query is null) AS isnull,
  (query = to_tsquery(words)) as issame
FROM
  util.queries
ORDER BY qid DESC LIMIT 5;

NOTICE: text-search query contains only stop words or doesn't contain lexemes, ignored NOTICE: text-search query contains only stop words or doesn't contain lexemes, ignored
 qid  |  words   |   query    | isnull | issame
 1000 | to       |            | f      | f
  999 | or       |            | f      | f
  998 | requests | 'request'  | f      | t
  997 | site     | 'site'     | f      | t
  996 | document | 'document' | f      | t
(5 rows)

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd