>>conveniences of the backend coding environment in a frontend application

I don't think this is required. I'm thinking about light-weight wrappers around A-2-B style converters, no ties to the backend or client. A free standing util library. The idea doesn't require a backend environment.

>>want to tighten up the expectations on backend datatypes to try
>>to make them work in a frontend-ish environment.

Making timestamp2tm or tm2timestamp (for example) work in the backend as well as the client seems rather straight forward, unless I am missing something. I am not talking about making the data type functional: like add, divide, multiply funtions. I am only referring to data type converters.

>>The chances of that happening reliably are about nil.

Why?  Again, I could be missing something.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC