I would like to propose new large object client side API for 8.4.

Currently we have:

          Oid lo_import(PGconn *conn, const char *filename);

But we do not have an API which imports a large object specifying the
object id. This is inconvenient and inconsistent since we already have
lo_create() and lo_open() which allow to specify the large object id.

So I propose to add new API:

          int lo_import_with_oid(PGconn *conn, Oid lobjId, const char
*filename);

Another idea is changing the signature of lo_import:

          Oid lo_import(PGconn *conn, Oid lobjId, const char *filename);

which will be cleaner but break the backward compatibility.

Comments are welcome.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan