Tom Lane wrote:
"Stephen Denne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
What I was asking about with those questions, is if a single row is inserted in
transaction A, and updated 1000 times still within transaction A, then
transaction A commits... does a single row version get written, or 1001, 1000
of which are removable?

Umm ... AFAICS there is no need for an UPDATE to touch the count table
at all.  You'd only need ON INSERT and ON DELETE triggers.

This returns to the question of whether count of the whole table is useful, or whether count of a GROUP BY or WHERE is useful. If GROUP BY or WHERE is useful, then trigger on UPDATE becomes necessary.

What is the direction here? Is it count of the whole table only? (<-- not interesting to me)

Or count of more practical real life examples, which I completely agree with Greg, that this gets into the materialized view realm, and becomes very interesting.

In my current db project, I never count all of the rows in a table. However, I do use count(*) with GROUP BY and WHERE.

Cheers,
mark

--
Mark Mielke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>