mx wrote:
Hello,Everyone!
I'm a student in China. and I'm preparing for GSocC2008 in these days.
There are two questions about GSoC.

1. There's a paragraph about the Example Proposal Ideas in PostgreSQL Summer
Projects website.

*TODO Items*: A number of the items on our TODO list have been marked as
good projects for beginners who are new to the PostgreSQL code. Items on
this list have the advantage of already having general community agreement
that the feature is desireable. These items should also have some general
discussion available in the mailing list archives to help get you started.
*You can find these items on the
TODO<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html>list, they will be marked
with a percent sign (%)
*.

I didn't get attention to this paragraph before, so I choose some items
without % in the List.
*Is it OK?*

Yes, absolutely. The '%' sign is just a hint that those items are easier than others, and therefore good items to pick up as a beginner.

 By the way, I'm writing proposal for multi-column hash now.

The biggest problem with the hash index is currently that there's no significant performance over b-tree. If you want to work on hash indexes, I would suggest doing benchmarking and looking at ways to improve performance, before spending time on making it multi-column capable. And missing WAL logging is a big issue as well.

2. I'm currently in my fourth year of  studies. And I'm in a lab  doing
database research.
My thesis work is about B-Tree index in NAND Flash Disk. I want to do it
based on PostgreSQL..
I know embedded server is the feature that postgreSQL don't want. But flash
Disk is developing very fast. It's a trend that Flash Disk will replace
magnetic disk one day just like what Jim Gray said "Tape is dead, disk is
tape, flash is disk",  though  nowadays flash  device is only widely used in
embedded devices.
*So, how about a project idea on NAND Flash disk  without limited-resource
environments?*
*Is it an acceptable idea?*

Maybe, hard to tell without more details. What difference does it make if the b-tree is on a flash device, as opposed to disk? What's different in general when you run on a flash disk?

The "embedded server" idea in the "not wanted" list refers to the idea of running PostgreSQL in the same process as the client. If I understood you correctly, you're proposing something quite different.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

-