Russell Smith wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Russell Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
As an attempt at a first PostgreSQL patch, I'd like to see if I can do anything about this issue.

Trying that as a first patch is a recipe for failure... the short answer
is that no one can think of a solution that will be generally acceptable.

            regards, tom lane
What makes this change particularly challenging? The fact that nobody has agreed on how it should work, or the actual coding?

The widespread code impact of any change is a strong indicator against doing this as a first patch. But newbie or not, as Tom says, nobody should be starting to design, let alone cut code, until the actual desired behaviour is agreed.

cheers

andrew