Mark Mielke wrote:
Svenne Krap wrote:
Mark Mielke wrote:
Svenne Krap wrote:
More two or even three different hashes with different collion-points will strongly increase the security.
No it doesn't unless you are thinking about a security through obscurity argument
Your logic is invalid - the best quality would be to not use a hash at all, and store in plain text, or ROT-13. Then you will have no collisions. If you truly believe more bits are better, don't use a hash to start with.

Ooops, went offlist by a wrong click. Putting it back onliste

I am aware that plain text (or any 1:1 mapping) has no chance of collision, but on the other hand if the box is compromised it gives an easy target for stealing passwords (and a lot of users use the same passwords a lot of places). I believe that hashing through one hash function is an acceptable compromise between collisions (i.e. people get in with the wrong password) and password safety (evil hacker cannot read passwords) given you deploy anti rainbow table meassures.

I would still prefer two hash functions as they do add a better safeguard towards collisions (the gentoo distribtion actually hashes the files by three different algorithms SHA1, SHA256 and RMD160) - i would be inclined to use three hashes too, if they were instantly available.

Svenne