Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Andrew Dunstan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
\>  Merlin Moncure wrote:
However, due to libpq limitations, if any datatype must
return text the entire result must be text (resultFormat)...this is
also interestingly true for functions that return 'void'.  So, at
present, to use PQgetf, you result set must be binary.
 I'm surprised you didn't try to address that limitation.

whoops! we did...thinko on my part.  Text results are fully supported
save for composites and arrays.

merlin

Yeah, currently composites and arrays only support binary results in libpqtypes. This forces any array elementType or any member of a composite to have a send/recv routine. Using the "fallback to text output" approach, this limitation on array elements and composite members would be removed.

>>That makes it sound more like a protocol limitation, rather than a
>>libpq limitation. Or am I misunderstanding?
It looks like libpq, message 'T' handling in getRowDescriptions, reads a separate format for each column off the wire. The protocol already has this ability. The backend needs a ?minor? adjustment to make use of the existing capability.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC