Andrew Dunstan wrote:

I don't get what you're not seeing about this.

All I am trying to say is, redhat's core packages are normally very inclusive. Like apache, which includes many/most modules in the core package.

I am still not convinced there is merit to a separate library. But honestly, I'm indifferent at this point. If the community wants it this way, whether or not I agree with the reasons, then consider it done.

It would be helpful to get some feedback about what the requirements are for a hooking mechanism for libpqtypes:

1. Do we make the hooking system generic, for other library to use?

2. If #1 is YES, then does this hooking system need to allow registering multiple hooks per app instance. Meaning, should we implement a table of callbacks/hooks? Like a linked list of them.

3. What design is preferred?
*) A single msg proc that uses a msg object which is either a big union or something that gets up casted.
*) A separate function pointer per hook, like conn_create, conn_destroy
*) A combo, where conn hooks are handled by one funcptr and result hooks by another. But each only has one function.

Please think carefully about question #1, as this could lead to over-design or guess-design.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC