"Radek Strnad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The problem with POSIX locales is that you never know what
> locales user have got installed. I've discovered that some linux distros
> don't even have other than UTF-8 based locales.

On Debian you're even deeper in it. The user can configure which locales he's
actually interested in having on a machine. They're listed in /etc/locale.gen
but I wouldn't suggest looking there. I think you have to try switching
locales and see if setlocale returns NULL.

> Because of ANSI defines collations deffined by ISO-8859-1 and UTF-* we need
> to somehow implement these collations.

These are encodings. What ANSI spec are you referring to, SQL? What does it
actually say?

--
  Gregory Stark