OK, I have spent some time generating and filtering typdefs via objdump on various platforms. I filtered them and Bruce's list to eliminate items not actually found in the sources thus:

while read line ; do grep -q -w -r --exclude="*.data" --exclude="*.out" --exclude="*.sql" --exclude="*.po" --exclude='*akefile' $line pgsql.head/src/backend pgsql.head/src/include pgsql.head/src/bin pgsql.head/src/interfaces pgsql.head/src/pl pgsql.head/src/port pgsql.head/src/timezone/*.[ch] pgsql.head/src/test/regress/*.[ch] pgsql.head/contrib && echo $line; done

(This filter runs a lot faster than the one Alvaro posted.)

If someone can point me where to get objdump for OSX I'll look at generating a list there too.

The results can be seen at:

http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/linux-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/mingw-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/cygwin-found
http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/bruce-bsdos-found

counts:

 2010 bruce-bsdos-found
 2036 cygwin-found
 1979 linux-found
 2125 mingw-found

It seems clear (as we expected) that this process is sensitive to both the build system and build options used. It's not just additive, though. Bruce has some symbols that my linux build doesn't have because he didn't build with openssh.

So I continue to think the best way to generate a list will be to consolidate lists generated from the buildfarm which represents a wide variety of build scenarios.

Is anyone else looking at GNU indent to see if it has improved enough to meet our needs?

cheers

andrew