On Apr 21, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

The following two files specify the behaviour of the MERGE statement and how it will work in the world of PostgreSQL. In places, this supercedes
my recent commentary on MERGE, particularly with regard to triggers.

Neither of these files is intended for CVS.

The HTML file was generated from SGML source, though the latter is not
included here for clarity.

The test file shows how I expect a successful test run to look when a
regression test is executed with a working version of final MERGE patch
applied. It has behavioural comments in it also, to make it slightly
more readable.

If anybody has any questions, ask them now please, before I begin
detailed implementation.

"MERGE will not invoke Rules." Does this imply that MERGE cannot be used on views or that the resulting INSERTs or UPDATEs do not work on views?

Cheers,