Bruce Momjian wrote:

interactive mode.  In fact, it is hard to justify our current
interactive behavior of a row just overflowing the screen width and
moving to the next line.  We have gotten used to it, but it is certainly
not very user-friendly.

+1

We have discussed having a formatting mode where aligned output switches
to expanded output when the row is too wide.  One idea would be to
create an 'auto' mode that would display in aligned, or wrapped if that
doesn't fit, or expanded if that doesn't fit.

However, this idea really doesn't help us with the file/pipe idea.  One
crazy idea would be for formatting to take two values, like:

        \pset formatting wrapped aligned

IMO we should never wrap file or pipe output. Once it leaves psql, it should be up to whatever you pushed it through (file/pipe/script) to handle formatting.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake