Bruce Momjian wrote:
Hey, I can work with this idea. First, there really is no 'off' mode for wrapped because that is aligned...
Well, come to think of it, "wrapped" is not really a new output format in the sense of "html" or "latex". It could build on aligned:

\pset format aligned [autowrap|nowrap|nnn]

But there's still the issue of wanting separate defaults for tty and stream outputs. The last thing you want is an admin deciding on wrapping, and then subtly breaking scripts. My personal desired defaults are:

* Terminals autowrap.
* Streams don't wrap, except in the rare case when I want to force a specific width (e.g. 79 for a newsgroup posting).

                                 -Bryce