Josh Berkus napsal(a):
Zdenek,

Unfortunately, this approach does not work between layout 3 and 4. It
works only for heap on platfrom with maxallign=4.

The main problem is that PageHeader has been extended to 24 bytes and it
requires reindexing, TOAST chunk resizing, converted tuples does not fit
on page on platform where maxallign=8.

I'm now working on offline conversion method.

Hmmm. I thought we determined earlier that the use case for *offline* binary conversion was rather limited. It would have to be 10x faster than dump/reload to be worthwhile. Do you think this is possible?

It is difficult to say without prototype. However, binary conversion can be performed without (or minimal) WAL logging and without sync. I think async write is a big improvement. And there is not problem convert tables in parallel mode. And of course you don't need bin<->text<->bin conversion. Unfortunately reindex is necessary in both cases.

        Zdenek