On Jun 5, 2008, at 23:08, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

What comments do we consider machine-generated? Just the ones used to comment out settings, like

#shared_buffers = 32MB

or something else?

Those and documentation comments.

If the automatic tool lets alone all other kind of comments, I think we're fine. In fact, it wouldn't necessarily need to modify those comments either, it could simply add a new setting line below that:

#shared_buffers = 32MB
shared_buffers = 1024MB

Well, we've been talking about having varying levels of documentation in the comments of the file based on the options passed to the configuration program. I think that these are the primary concern, though Greg, please do correct me if I'm mistaken.

For extra safety, it could comment out old settings, perhaps with something like this:

#shared_buffers = 32MB
#shared_buffers = 1024MB  # commented out by wizard on 2008-06-05
shared_buffers = 2048MB

This would preserve a full change history in the file. It would become quite messy after a lo of changes, of course, but a user can trim the history by hand if he wants to.

I guess that could be a feature. Personally, I use a vcs system for that.

Best,

David