Simon Riggs wrote:
But we don't know it for dead sure, we only think we do. What if the data for one or other of the tables is corrupted? We'll end up with data we believe is consistent but in fact is not, ISTM. If you can somehow guarantee the integrity of data in both tables then we might be justified in assuming that the FK constraint will be consistent - that's why I suggested some sort of checksum mechanism might serve the purpose.

Agreed.

Can we get COPY to output the checksum of its output as part of the
command tag? How else can we return the checksum? In $file.cksum for any
given output file?

It seems a reasonable idea to use the command tag, unless that's going to break lots of stuff. I think the only thing we can usefully checksum is the output lines in the client encoding.

We can then use an explicit checksum option in the COPY when we reload,
with CHECKSUM option.

We need rather more than this to make sure your facility isn't abused. That's the part that I haven't been able to think of a good answer for (yet).

cheers

andrew