Tom Lane wrote:
Another issue is that it might not be possible to update a page for
lack of space.  Are we prepared to assume that there will never be a
transformation we need to apply that makes the data bigger?   In such a
situation an in-place update might be impossible, and that certainly
takes it outside the bounds of what ReadBuffer can be expected to manage.

Would a possible solution to this be that you could

  1. Upgrade to the newest minor-version of the old release
     (which has knowledge of the space requirements of the
     new one).

  2. Run some new maintenance command like "vacuum expand" or
     "vacuum prepare_for_upgrade" or something that would split
     any too-full pages, leaving only pages with enough space.

  3. Only then shutdown the old server and start the
     new major-version server.