On Jun 12, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Sure, but if you're willing to use a SQL-level operation on the portal
then you could perfectly well declare the cursor at SQL level too.

Indeed, but like I said in my initial e-mail::

   I know you can use DECLARE, but I believe that this inhibits the
   driver from being able to select the transfer format for individual
   columns; it's all binary or it's all text. Also, I don't think I
can DECLARE against a prepared statement, save restating the query, no?

Also, the latter has other problems wrt statement parameters. I guess you
could prepare(protocol level) the DECLARE, but that seems like a gross
workaround as it defeats the purpose of prepared statements by forcing you to create a new statement for each cursor that you plan to open. Of course,
unless you can close the existing one before opening the next one.

[ I really do hope that I'm missing something, btw :( ]